RE: [SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 10:27:09 PDT

> I would like to point out that what would be the impedance look like
>when you looks at it from the center of the two plates viewing from
>the top? Can you still qualify it as a rectangular wave guide as the
>wave is spread out in 360 degree other than in one particular
>direction. Instead of calling it the traditional "characteristic
>impedance" I would prefer to see it as " driving
>point impedance". Any comment from any guru ????
>

> Michael Chan

Not from a guru, but I'll comment.

In both measurement and simulation our group has been able
show that the spreading inductance exhibited by a plane
varies according to the measurement point on the plane.

In particular, you'll find the spreading inductance highest
at the corners (only 2 escape directions), medium on the plane
edges (3 escape directions) and minimum at central locations
(4 escape directions).

These variations in spreading inductance that are a function of
location will also effect the 'driving point impedance' seen
at those same points.

Any real gurus care to expound on the details?

-Ray