[SI-LIST] : Upper limit of interplane capacitance

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:09:40 PDT

Hi,

The interplane capacitance between pwr and gnd planes in multilayer PCB has super performance at higher frequencies, as opposed to ordinary decoupling caps. But there must be an upper limit of operating frequencies for the planecap. Please allow me to list two considerations on the upper limit:

(A) The real value of planecap can only be considered within 1/8 wavelength.
(B) It can only be calculated within Tr distance.

As frequency gets higher and higher, the real available planecap would become less and less. I think that's right. What do you think?