Re: [SI-LIST] : RE: bypass caps

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 14:25:08 PDT

Jay, Here is my two cents worth.

(1) We know the article by Clayton Paul, "Effectiveness of multiple decoupling capacitors," (IEEE EMC Vol. 34, p. 130, May 1992). Now this article by Douglas Brooks, �ESR and bypass capacitor self resonant behavior, � (www.ultracad.com) quite well answered a naturally raised question after Paul�s paper:

�In the past, with large numbers of capacitors spread all over our boards, anti-resonant peaks have not generally been regarded as an issue. How did we get away with that for so long?� � (quoted from the article by Brooks)

(2) In today�s high-speed digital design, if having built good inter plane capacitance with your PCB it might not be compulsory to strictly follow Brook�s article in selecting all decaps, I'm afraid.

Regards,
Barry Ma
[email protected]