RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: Split Plane

From: Tom Dagostino ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 09:55:31 PDT

The equation for bandwidth .35/Tr = BW assumes a critically damped Guassian
response and 10% to 90% Tr times. Different filters (responses) will have
different constants. For example, if the response of the filter is a simple
RC filter the bandwidth will be .4545/Tr.

The bandwidth is defined as the point in frequency where the amplitude is
down 3 db. For the .35/Tr example, if the risetime is 350 psec then the
bandwidth is 1 GHz. If at low frequencies the output amplitude of the
filter is 1 volt then at 1 GHz the output amplitude will be .707V.

The output frequency spectrum of a square wave put into this "filter" will
be the ideal square wave spectrum convolved with the response of the filter.

Tom Dagostino
ICX Modeling Group
[email protected]
503-685-1613