[SI-LIST] : RE: Split Plane

From: Barry Ma ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 12:07:09 PDT

Brad,

Here is my two cents worth.
In high speed digital design, one of design purposes is to make all pwr/gnd planes RF equipotential, although they have different DC potentials: 0V, 3.3V, and 5V. Those planes are supposed to have the same RF potential when linking them by using interplane capacitance and decoupling capacitors. - We may try some other way to reduce the impedance of power bus, and expand the bandwidth of power distribution system....

Anyway there must be some RF potential difference existing between those planes, although we tried our best to make them equipotential. Given this, it's still hard to generally assert that ground planes certainly make fewer contributions than power planes to the total radiation level.

Regards,
Barry MA
[email protected]