Re: [SI-LIST] : Split Plane

From: Doug McKean ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 14:12:02 PDT

Certainly.

As a "general rule" I just wanted to make the point
of not using arms or traces too small for the feed
or grounding. I managed to see a simulation of patch
antennas on printed circuit boards. The arms feed the
plates to set up a resonance. Very effective stuff.

I'm at work right now, but I believe I have the
website of the patch antenna simulation at home.
And I believe it's interactive as well. I will
post that if it's wanted. Very interesting
stuff going on there.

The edge reflections can get rather complicated with
odd geometries. In much the same way that a good
multi-layer stackup can be ruined if the ground
plane starts getting cut up.

That's all I meant to say about arms and geometries.

The planes being close can interact with noise just as
traces do. And separation is the best way to avoid that.

Certainly no black magic in it all. Just trying to keep
it all simple. If people do have data which counters this,
I'd certainly appreciate hearing it.

- Doug