Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Bilal Ahmad ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 11:09:16 PDT

Jim To wrote:

>> <So, with this simplistic picture alone, it appears that larger Zo
>> is very slightly better in containing
>> radiation, however, this decrease with increase in Zo is small,
>> especially for the terminated lines. >
>

> Bilal, this seems to contradict to what we thought of regarding
> emission w/r/t Zo. I am confused and sure could use more explanation
> on your finding. My question is the emission reduced because of the
> termination or is it because of Zo.

Jim, the answer to your question is in the plot: proper termination
lowers radiated power; also, larger Zo "slightly" reduces radiated power
[from short thin wire antennas at the ends of transmission lines (pins,
e.g.!)]. The result should be understood in conjunction with the axioms.
If radiation from the end radiators (pins, ends of transmission lines)
is not of primary importance, then this result says nothing about how Zo
affects radiation.

Bilal