Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: Charge moving from decoupling capacitors

From: sweir ([email protected])
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 14:47:36 PDT

Barry,

I will certainly agree that a bulk decoupling capacitor may be placed
anywhere on the board, because the frequency response limit is so
low. However, you should be a little bit more careful about how you treat
the smaller value decoupling capacitors. There is frequently some gain to
be had in maintaining those devices close to the loads, as the plane
inductance and propagation time, albeit small, has to be overcome before
any charge from the decoupling capacitors comes to the aid of charge stored
in the device.

There is another benefit of placing decoupling capacitors near device I/O.
The capacitor ground via, ( multiple ground layers and the signal is
reflecting against a plane which is not the same as the device I/O ground
plane ), or the capacitor itself, ( the signal is reflecting against a
power plane that the capacitor decouples ) provides a path for return
currents into the the device.

Regards,

Steve.