RE: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Mary ([email protected])
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 22:14:00 PDT

Mike,

As Neven pointed out and you confirmed, maintaining a constant Zo while
reducing both the trace width and height will result in lower radiation.
I don't understand why you would say that this,

"...seems to conflict with the correlation of radiation to trace (or
structure) impedance, but only if one doesn't understand the whole picture."

I think that Neven described the whole picture very concisely and the
conflict is real. Neven's example is one of many that could be used to
show that there is no general relationship between characteristic impedance
and radiation.

You cited an analogy between a horn antenna and an impedance transformer.
However this analogy is generally applied to describe the transformation
of the wave impedance (ratio of E to H) from a waveguide to free space.
It cannot be applied to ratios of V to I in any intuitive or consistent
manner that I am aware of.

This is my last post on this thread. Interest and information content have
been declining and I get the feeling that there are only a few of us who are
not automatically deleting mail with this subject.

It's been fun,

Mary