RE: [SI-LIST] : May 9th Presentation: "Radiation from Edge Eff

From: ARNOLD,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3) ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 12:50:55 PDT

Barry,

I can't answer your questions so I suggest checking out the presentation
itself when it appears (Hans Mellberg wrote: "We expect the paper to be
posted around next Monday or so, at www.scvemc.org. More work has been done
to this presentation which will show up at the August EMC Symposium.")

However, the simulations clearly showed that under the conditions of
excitation studied there was more radiation predicted from the 20H-type
edge. The quick explanation was that the 20H edge presents a gentler
transition to the impedance of free space, which is higher than that of the
medium supporting the wave between the planes. This better match results in
a higher transmission coefficient than the simple-edge case, meaning more
energy emitted and less reflected back into the board.

peter.