RE: [SI-LIST] : May 9th Presentation: "Radiation from Edge Effec ts in Printe...

From: Nadolny, Jim ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 05:54:02 PDT

Mike,

I agree with you and offer a similar experience.

In doing research on a backplane connectors influence on radiated emission
we needed a "low noise" PCB structure. We were feeding a "perfect
connector" with a stripline trace and wanted to be sure we measured the
connector and not the PCB. For the stripline structure of the PCB, we had
to copper tape the edges of the PCB. For the instrumentation feed we had to
use a special coax to stripline feed with the shield of the coax soldered
360 degrees to the surface ground plane of the PCB. With this type of
arrangement and a "perfect" backplane connector (semi-rigid with outer
shield soldered to the ground plane) we could get down to the
instrumentation noise floor. Open edges of the PCB or a typical thru hole
SMA feed would excite the structure which we detected as common mode
current.

An extreme example perhaps, but it pointed out that a stripline is only as
quiet as the quality of the implementation.

Jim Nadolny
FCI