RE: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: sweir ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 11:53:29 PDT

Mary,

Gross EMI is going to come from microstrips. However, striplines are a
concern as well. I think Michael has pointed out the common ways that
striplines can radiate, mostly due to the "impurities" of the real
world: vias, surface break-outs, proximity to the board edge, component
lead structures, etc.

Striplines have crosstalk considerations. There are various techniques for
making striplines more coax-like, including via fences that reduce some of
the problems due to the impurities Michael has described.

Regards,