Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Neven Pischl ([email protected])
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 10:20:09 PDT

Here's my $0.02.

The scenario doesn't work because it roughly assumes that if you have a 377
Ohm source, and a 377-Ohm resistor somewhere in free space, that you will
have max power transfer (even without any other connection). That's what you
are saying when you say that half power would go through the space (at least
it seams to me so).

It mixes the wave-guiding concept in which there is at least two-conductor
structure that guides EM-waves, and it is characterized by its
characteristic impedance, with the free-space EM-wave propagation in which
the intrinsic impedance of the medium (not characteristic impedance of a
waveguide) is 377 ohm. There is an analogy between these two ways of
propagation, in terms of mathematical description, but the terms do not have
the same meaning.

Same as a 377 ohm line will not radiate half power to the space, when
immersed into the EM field, it will not couple half power of the field
(which should happen if the concept is right).

It can be seen that the concept does not work also if you examine a 50-Ohm
air- microstrip. If you assume the concept of splitting power between the
line and the air, 50/377 of the total power which is about 0.13 (or 13%)
would always be lost to the space, even in a perfectly matched 50-Ohm
system. We know that it does not happen when you connect a matched load,
source and a line.

Neven