Re: [SI-LIST] : Trace Impedance Selection

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 11:02:19 PDT

Doug,

Besides the possible EMI considerations thereare also timing
considerations
when choosing trace impedance.

When a trace is electrically long, it is
the trace Z0 which is charging receiver capacitance. The lower
the Z0
the faster the receiver charges and the faster the circuit timing.
This assumes,
that the driver is correctly matched to the line. With heavily
loaded circuits,
(for example, memory address lines) a lower Z0 can translate to
significant
timing advantages.

A lower Z0 also shows smaller impedance perturbations to the
insertion of a capacitive
loaded receiver on a multidrop line.

A lower Z0 causes greater mismatch to long package stub sections
on multidrop
lines and can accentuate resonance effects at high edge rates.

A lower Z0 created by using wider traces shows less impedance
variation due
to board etching issues than a higher Z0 trace with exactly the
same dielectric
seperation.

I lower Z0 trace will generally have lower coupling to neighboring
nets.

best regards,

scott

--