Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential TDR "Measurements"

From: Bob Lewandowski ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 10:52:53 PDT

Vinu,

The problem with using a coaxial probe to make a differential TDR measurement is
that the drive impedances in a single ended system are not balanced. The center
conductor looks like a 50 ohm source at all frequencies, but the outer conductor
source impedance is essentially indeterminate as a function of frequency. It is
a zero ohm source at dc and the common mode impedance of the outer conductor
(inductive @ < 1/4 wavelength) at other frequencies. A true differential source
has balanced impedances.

---Bob Lewandowski
    Vixel Corp.