RE: [SI-LIST] : BLVDS Hot Swap - Connectors

From: DAmbrosia, John F ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 06:27:47 PDT

Francis,
Thanks for your response. I apologize for the lateness of my response, but
I have been traveling for the last week.

First, let me say that I understand the overall skepticism of your response.
The phenomenon of "nanosecond" discontinuities" has just been recently
discovered, and AMP has been working to resolve the issue, which has
resulted in the introduction of our Quiet MateTM Contact technology.
Nanosecond discontinuities should not be so quickly dismissed, however, as
only two of our customers have seen the phenomenon, which was discovered
while evaluating a system for high availability. Just because it is not
being seen in a controlled lab environment, does not mean that it will not
be seen in the field. It is unclear how rigorous the test environment was
used to test your devices. Furthermore, it is very difficult to measure
the resulting glitch. What equipment did you use to detect and measure the
glitch? Can you further describe the glitch? duration/width, frequency of
occurrence during hot-swaps, specific levels (20mV/50mV/100mV?), etc.

There are several comments that need discussed -

1. We know that there will be "discontinuities" during Live Insertion,
it is NOT "microsecond discontinuities" we are investigating BUT any data
errors in BLVDS during Live Insertion.
                We agree that the area of concern is for any data errors
during any Live Insertion. High availability systems demand it! It has
been proven that in a CPCI environment nanosecond discontinuities can cause
data errors.

2. The occurence of abnormalities on the signals are COMMON on both
signals, thus data was not impacted.

                Based on test data taken in our labs, we do not agree with
this statement. 'Glitches' occurring during live insertion events do not
and will not happen at EXACTLY the same points in time. If the resolution
is not accurate enough, they may appear to be occurring at the same time,
but will actually be offset from one another at some distinct point in time.
If the resolution is not that accurate enough, the measured glitch is
probably resulting from something other than nanosecond discontinuities.
They are extremely difficult to observe, even with the most advanced
equipment. We are not sure what was seen. Even the initial 'glitch',
resulting from the potentials on the card and backplane coming together
(assuming no nanosecond discontinuities occur) would never happen at EXACTLY
the same time. Can you measure any distinct separation in time of the
"glitch" on each leg of the differential pair?

3. The National parts were designed better than the industry
specifications which means the thresholds for high and the threshold for low
have a higher noise margin as specified in the data book. On top of
this,there are internal filters in the receiver that will further take care
of the glitches.

        This very issue came up at PICMG last week, where it was realized by
committee members that higher margins / tighter thresholds can actually be
worse in a hot swap environment.

This issue is related to the system application. I suggest you contact me
directly, and we can discuss your logic and the hot-swap / nanosecond
discontinuity issue and the potential impact on systems. My contact info is
listed below.

Have a nice day!

John D'Ambrosia
AMP Circuits & Design
Program Manager, Strategic Accounts
Tel (717) 986-5692
Fax (717) 986-5095
Email: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>