[SI-LIST] : Split Plane

From: Chung, Sinh ([email protected])
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 15:53:40 PDT

To Layout Experts,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice/opinions.
I'm laying out a board where most of the critical LVDS signals
are near the connectors but I cannot route all of them on the same layer.
So therefore multiple layer is required, but they don't take up the entire
layer since I
want all the trace to be short, near the connector.

I'm wondering if I split up the plane into two and make the other half gnd
so that
I can have more gnd and more layer to route my signals optimal signal
integrity.

FOR EXAMPLE

GND
signal
GND
signal

can be broken up as

GND
1/2 signal 1/2 GND
1/2 GND 1/2 signal
GND

My question is that by splitting up the layer, am I asking for trouble.