Re: [SI-LIST] : SI FAQ Proposal

From: Andrew Phillips ([email protected])
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 06:23:15 PST

Istvan NOVAK wrote:

> Ray,
>
> The FAQ on Signal Integrity is a very good idea, at the same time it may not
> be easy to create one for everyone's satisfaction (OK, lets settle for the
> majority). You manage the SI-list in a very professional way, by setting
> the minimum number of rules, leaving maximum freedom for opinions. That is
> what this list is all about. The minute we try to 'coordinate' questions
> and contributions, or we try to decide which question is 'worth' answering,
> it becomes a reflection of the moderator's views.

Hi Istvan,

This is true and was something I was hoping could be avoided. Thats what I was hoping 'peers' would help to do rather than having a single moderator who owned a section of the FAQ and only presented his
viewpoint. I intended that this operation would proceed in an evolutionary manner - why not wait and see what develops?

There are of course plenty of opposing views on many aspects of signal integrity and high-speed digital design. (How many diferent arguments happen on the SI-list about decoupling capacitors for
instance). Many of these views are, I think, due to misunderstandings about how certain 'rules' can be applied and when they can't. There are also plenty of myths lurking around. I find so much
interesting and useful stuff around the web but a lot of the time it is difficult to be sure how much of it is correct without spending ages re-analysing the work yourself.

I was hoping that over time a well-reviewed and scrutinised FAQ would develop that could at least reduce some of the confusion. And also make the task easier to get up to speed on a particular topic that
you may be unfamiliar with.

Anyway - any suggestions on the matter are most welcome.

Regards,
Andrew Phillips
Supercomputing Systems AG
Zurich Switzerland