Re: [SI-LIST] : Catching the Corners: chain of synchronizing registers

From: S. Weir ([email protected])
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 02:41:15 PST

Shayle,

The best that we can do is to reduce the probability that a metastable
condition will propagate. The generally accepted metastability equation is
based on observations conducted with a two stage shift register circuit.

MTBF_2stage = ( e^( -k1 )) / ( k2*Fclk*Fstim )

k1 = metastable resolution constant
k2 = metastable susceptability window
Fclk = sampling clock frequency
Fstim = Asynchronous input stimulus frequency

What may not have been clear in Dr. Johnson's article is that the time for
a metastable event to resolve at any single stage is
statistical. Metastability is akin to a marble on an upside-down salad
bowl. In a vibration free environment, it is possible to balance the
marble, and have it stay put. However, to be vibration free, we would have
to be at absolute zero.

Since, we don't encounter absolute zero very often, we have a source of
noise energy to push the marble one way or another. Sooner or later, the
push will be enough to get the marble moving. The sentence:

"The metastable resolution delay at the output of the first
  flip-flop in the chain causes a problem ONLY if it hits RIGHT ON
TOP of the actual metastable sampling window for the second flip-
flop."

refers to the output of the first stage still slewing through the
metastable voltage window of the second FF, duing the metastable
susceptible window of the second FF. It is under this condition that the
second stage of the shift register fails to update properly. If you want
this in VHDL code:

entity ms_test
         port
         (
                 clk : in std_logic ;
                 stimulus : in std_logic ;
                 error : out std_logic
         ) ;
end ms_test ;
architecture behave of ms_test is
         signal inp_q : std_logic ;
         signal tst_qa : std_logic ;
         signal tst_qb : std_logic ;
begin
p_ff_re : process( clk )
         if( rising_edge( clk ) ) then
                 inp_q <= stimulus ;
                 tst_qa <= inp_q ;
         end if ;
end p_ff_re ;

p_ff_fe : process( clk )
         if( falling_edge( clk ) ) then
                 tst_qb <= inp_q ;
                 error <= '1' when( tst_qa /= tst_qb ) else '0' ;
         end if ;
end p_ff_fe ;
end ;

Since the formula just characterizes the behavior of two FF's, it is
relatively straightforward to extrapolate the case for three.

Regards,

Steve.