RE: [SI-LIST] : Zener used to clamp Vcc?

From: WAUGH,RAY (HP-SanJose,ex1) ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 14:45:42 PST

Chris...

The Zener will do fine if the spikes you are clamping are not too fast (sub
nano-second). Fast spikes must be clamped with a Schottky diode (picosecond
fast).

400mW refers to the continuous power your diode can dissipate if you
maintain the leads at 25 degrees C. That rating has no meaning when you are
considering short duration current spikes. You can safely dissipate far
more than 400mW in that diode if you only do it for a couple of
microseconds. It really is a fairly complicated thing to figure out current
carrying capacity (which is what you are really interested in).

Ray
      [email protected]