Re: [SI-LIST] : ESR and bypass caps

From: Istvan NOVAK ([email protected])
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 21:16:05 PST

DougS,

As Ray pointed out, Larry's deck was for the single-node analysis. To
illustrate the effect of capacitor locations, I compiled a short slide show
from various simulation results, it is posted in
http://home.att.net/~istvan.novak/ under illustration tools. On each page
there are self-impedance profiles of a 8"x8" plane pair with 2-mil FR4
dielectrics, with four different conditions: 1) bare planes, 2) 0.1uF bypass
capacitors all in the center, 3) the same number of 0.1uF bypass caps spread
evenly around the board periphery, and 4) the same number of resistive
termination evenly spread along the board periphery. From the many
simulated scenarios probably these four represent the most interesting
extreme corners. The impedance on a one-inch grid was simulated between the
planes and the impedance magnitudes are plotted in ohms. The successive
pages correspond to different frequencies. Note that here no attempt was
made to smooth out the impedance profile by selecting a range of capacitance
values, instead the emphesis was on the variation with capacitor location.

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems