Re: [SI-LIST] : Coplanar Transmission Line

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 18:01:33 PST

Hi Jian

It appears that we differ again. My understanding of the dielectric losses is
that the losses are magnetic/eddy current rather than electrostatic capacitive in nature.
It is produced by the nature of the material and has nothing to do with capacitance.

Perhaps a materials literate person is on the list and can fill in the details. Help??

ron miller

Jian Zheng wrote

> Hi,
>
> From electromagnetics, loss in any dielectrics (substrate or metallic strip)
> is calculated as:
>
> Loss = Volume_Integration ( Sigma * E * E ) where Sigma is the conductivity
> and E is the electric field.
>
> Loss on a transmission line is mainly determined on the percentage of the E
> field in lossy dielectrics. A bitmap picture is attached to this e-mail to
> illustrate the cross-section of microstrip and CPW (co-planar waveguide).
> For microstrip, most of the field (significantly more than 50% of the field)
> is concentrated between the strip and the ground or the substrate. For CPW,
> about 50% of the field will be in the air and the rest is in the substrate.
> In fact, if the substrate is thin, more than 50% of the field will be in the
> air (see the attached picture). There is no doublt about it that the
> dielectric loss is lower on CPW.
>
> Interestingly, when frequency increases, more field will be concentrated
> into the substrate for microstrip line (an in-direct indication is that the
> effective dielectric constant Ereff of the waveguide is increasing with
> frequency), it makes microstrip line more frequency dependent. However, the
> field pattern in the cross-section of CPW is almost unchanged with
> frequency. That is the reason why CPW has less dispersion.
>
> As metallic loss is concerned, the loss is more related to the cross section
> area of the middle strip of the CPW and the cross-section area of the
> microstrip. If they are identical, the metallic loss should be very close.
> This is in fact ohm's law says at DC frequency.
>
> Certainly, if you do not force identical voltage between the two side (or
> ground) strips in the CPW, you will create other modes mentioned in my
> previous e-mail. The other modes will have different propagation speed and
> they will cause dispersion to the signals and it is not what you want.
>
> You may ask why the propagation speed of the other modes are different. It
> is also related to the field distribution in the cross-section or the
> percentage of the field in different dielectrics. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,

> Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D
> Zeland Software, Inc., 39676 Mission Blvd., Fremont, CA 94539, U.S.A.
> Tel: 510-797-8109, Fax: 510-797-8241, Web: http://www.zeland.com

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]