Re: [SI-LIST] : modeling languages (was: receiver jitter)

From: Fred Balistreri ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 14:29:29 PST

The encription in Hspice is not for the scaling but to protect the
IC vendors topology and transistor models...ie process. However
as mentioned by DC, the encription can cause you problems for
SI analysis since once encripted you cannot change naming, scaling
or anything.

Scaling is also not good if your getting your models from various
vendors. Since some vendors don't use universal scaling, some do,
some have localized scaling etc. Its true one can always "flatten"
the netlist at the expense of time.

Some earlier versions of Hspice on the PC only had limited support of
the CMOS devices. If you had that version of Hspice you were out of
luck unless you upgraded.

Again the primary reason for Hspice usage is IC. Today there are two
compeling reasons (in my mind anyway) to use Hspice.
1. Wide industry acceptance and support.
2. CMOS models.

However as mentioned before Hspice is not necesarlity a great choice
for SI work (W element aside).

Best Regards,

Fred Balistreri
[email protected]