Re: [SI-LIST] : Excessive Posting Length

From: Patrick Lawler ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:51:17 PST

Interesting.
I agree that many messages have too much unneeded stuff included.
I've even been accused of trimming too much off the original message,
forcing someone to go to a previous message to view the entire subject
history.

However, I disagree with the first comment. Since I usually remember
the discussions in question, I prefer messages with the reply at the
top, so I don't have to page down through 'old' material to see the
additional comments. Exceptions are cases where the person wants to
put their reply(ies) next to the original comment(s).

Comments?

Postscript.:
For those users that want to disable the Outlook Express HTML setting:
1) From the pulldown menu, select Tools/Options.
2) Select the 'Send' tab, and look for the 'Mail Sending Format'
section of the page.
3) Select the 'Plain text' option.

Comments?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:59:00 -0500, <[email protected]>
wrote:
>You guys are starting a very bad habit. Most of you are replying at the
>top of the message, and clicking the send button.
>
>This means you are including everything in previous posts in your reply.
>The bandwidth you are wasting is terrible, these messages are taking too
>long to downlad, and you force others to wade through megabytes of junk
>to find your pearls of wisdom.
>
>The problem is compounded by people who carelessly leave the html option
>turned on. This means a your message is duplicated: first in ascii, then
>in html with all the extra tags added. Only Microsoft could think of a
>more extravagant waste of resources.
<snip>