Re: [SI-LIST] : What's your favorite Screwy SI Concept?

From: Michael Vrbanac ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 11:34:26 PST

Lee,

Its simple. Experience with approaching this subject on a public forum is one of those
"never do that again" things. Its seems to bring out the worst in us. I'll be honest
about the "why" of the "obtuse reply". Its a simple teaching trick. Instead of
arguing with a "student" or "colleague", challenge them to think and don't make the
problem easy. Then they can answer the question for themselves, "own" their answers,
and be better for it. Sometimes in an open forum when folks with the "louder voices"
(and that could be you or me as well) can drown out the carefully thought reasoning
of a novice and we all will be the less for it.

Actually, I would love to give you the laboratory data but I don't own it and its not
in my possession and was never mine to give. In fact, there are several products
either in existence or have now been made "obsolete" over the years that depended
on either the 20H rule or some version of it. Proven success means more to me
than a mountain of papers describing otherwise. There are applications for it AND
I do concede that there are many instances where it use is just plainly is not necessary.

So let it stand as it is. If we want a specific thread devoted to the 20H rule, I might
participate if "cooler heads" could prevail but as you can guess, I am skeptical about
that. Even at that, though, I don't intend to get into the "shouting" matches I seen
before on this issue. I'd rather see us discover what it is good for and clearly define
where it is useful so we all can be better for it.

One last thing, if we could possibly do such a thing, it could become the prototype
for other types of discussions of similar nature.

Michael E. Vrbanac