Re: [SI-LIST] : Chassis hole opening and frequencies

From: Daren McClearnon ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 19:54:02 PST

At 02:51 PM 1/4/2000 -0700, DC Sessions wrote:
>Jay Chesavage wrote:
>>
>> Is there a class of Chaos theory which has to do with optimizing fixed,
>> static structures? Sounds more like linear programming to me (explore
>> state space for minimum radiation at frequency f, where the variable is
>> hole placement), and then go repeat the process for each and every f, and
>> each and every hole placement(!).
>>

>You are. Chaos theory has to do with any complex nonlinear progression.
>Fractals (think Mandelbrot sets) are classic examples of chaos. Looking
>at it another way, time-variance is generally treated in physics as
>movement through the (x,y,z,jt) space.

Fractal structures are already used for wider bandwidth antennas, since
some feature is likely to be resonant over a range of freqs instead of
of a few specific freqs. The curiosity I have is whether such an
implementation in a shielding application would:

  a) dither out a few emitted peaks so that a wider spectrum is
     below some mask/threshold (noise-like), or,
  b) make the chassis a efficient broadband radiator at many freqs,
     so that a wider spectrum raises to the level of the peaks
  c) eliminate -or- exaggerate spatial directivity?

Daren McClearnon
Agilent Technologies