[SI-LIST] : Transient impedance

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 14:46:07 PST

Adrian Shiner wrote:

> If there are 2 active (cmos) devices in a push pull (totem pole) output
> stage then at some point both devices will be half way between on (low
> impedance) and off (very high impedance). The impedance must vary during the
> transition. Are you going to terminate both ends of the line which this
> device is driving so that the impedance variation is minimised? Does it
> matter? Perhaps we should return to current driven logic & stop worrying
> about the voltages???

As a general rule, we design output stages to keep the crowbar current low.
Break-before-make, as it were, although it's no exactly sequenced so much
as just turning off faster than on. Necessarily, though, the output goes
through a high-impedance point.

Compounding this is the fact that MOS devices aren't just modulated resistors.
If the gate-drain voltage is greater than about the threshold voltage, then
the output is resistive. Otherwise it's more or less a constant current, and
_that_ is certainly high impedance. As the driver turns on or off, you have
a situation where the gate-source voltage is decreasing while the drain-source
voltage is increasing -- the gate-source voltage drops REALLY fast, and the
transistor spends most of its transition time in high impedance.

Therefore, the high-impedance window for a driver is quite a bit longer than
the nonoverlap interval. It's very nearly the entire edge time for a shunt
terminated line, since it starts shortly after the first device begins to
turn off and only ends when the second finishes turning on.

D. C. Sessions