RE: [SI-LIST] : What speed scope should I consider? / "transient impedance"

From: Jeremy Plunkett ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 13:57:37 PST

hmm..er..oops, thank you for bringing that up Mike.

I was measuring transmission lines with the assumption that the actual Z
would not vary with respect to I. To use the same technique for measuring
IO cells (where you can safely assume that the impedance will be nonlinear),
your desired impedance can be measured as dV/dI, if you assume that all
impedances in your test setup are real(bad assumption, which is why
parasitic capacitance and inductance tend to really screw up your results).

In the scope the actual calculation you set up is dV/dt / dI/dt. And when
you are doing this make sure you have set the scale on the inputs to get
good dynamic range without exceeding the boundaries of the screen (on an HP
Infinium), or you may find some very confusing numerical errors in the
output waveform of your calculation.

Jeremy