Re: [SI-LIST] : [Fwd: Majordomo results: Looking forhighspeedbuffer parts]

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 09:03:32 PST

Hi Jason

I also am going to be using sstl in an ASIC. Since what I am reading
there is concern about high speed performance.

So, if we get in trouble I need to know of possible alternate sources.
Could you divulge who your ASIC supplier is?

Ron Miller

Jason Zheng wrote:

> > Be careful if you intend to use an inverter as a clock buffer. The alvc
> > stuff is pretty fast, but not nearly fast enough for your needs. That
> > particular part is about 4nS spec into a heavy load, and a minimum Tpd spec
> > of 1nS. At 240MHz Tpd alone is 50% of your cycle interval. That
> > translates to linear amplifier. I don't know who did your ASIC's or the
> > system design, but 240MHz at SSTTL is going to be very hard to do.
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Our ASIC is committed already. We are designing the prototype
> board to bring it up. For now, it only needs to work at
> room temperature (instead of the worst case conditions). If
> the IDT74ALVC16244A part (or GAL16LV8) is not fast enough for
> room temperature application, do you know of any other part that
> might do? We will have adjustable delay lines to tune the skew
> among ASICs, so the skew is not the prob. But it needs
> to drive 100 or 50 ohm transmission lines for TTL/CMOS levels.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Jason
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve.

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]