Re: [SI-LIST] : Interesting theoretical questions

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 07:34:38 PST

Really? I wonder what the range of that would be.

Years ago, Watkins-Johnson Co built battlefield comm walkie-talkies that
ran at 100 GHz and were more or less guaranteed to not go more than 100
feet or so.

Larry Miller

At 06:31 AM 11/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>> I have some theoretical questions regarding high frequency signals:
>>
>> 1) What is the maximum frequency you can generate electronically by our
>> current technology (GaAs???)? Can we have an oscillator that can oscillate
>> in the frequency of the visible light, for example?
>
>A handful of organizations are using 180 GHz carrier frequencies for
>wireless communications, and there is development towards 1 THz
>devices. To learn more, check out the IEEE MTT Symposium
>held in June each year (www.mtt.org); they usually present some
>of the latest developments.

si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****