RE: [SI-LIST] : Comments from your SI seminar (SendII)`

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 13:21:56 PDT

Follow the UltraCad URL below and have a look at Doug Brooks' papers
diff_z.pdf and terminations.pdf.

These papers are

1) Clear

2) Mathematically rigorous

3) Correct.

>">By the way, has anyone who advocates differential impedance shown why it is
>necessary and what happens if isn't maintained? I've never seen anyone
>demonstrate this. I'd welcome some analysis that supports this point of
>view, if it exists."

What happens is that you get impedance mismatches. This causes ringing and
EMI. The analysis is presented in Dr Johnson's book and may be easily
demonstrated on a PCB by doing it wrong, especially at frequencies above
200 MHz. We had to tweak all of our Gigabit Ethernet designs to get the
impedance trimmed sufficiently that we could pass EMI (the symptom being a
big 2500 MHz component).

What you have below is just poop.

Is there some specific reason you continue to bring these things up? We are
talking physics here, not opinion.

The fact that something is published does not necessarily make it correct.
There are whole journals devoted to the veriest nonsense.

Larry Miller