Re: [SI-LIST] : Stopping Out of Office Auto Replys?

From: Matthias Mansfeld ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 07:44:18 PDT

On 28 Oct 99 at 7:13, Bradley S Henson wrote:

> Everytime I respond to an issue on the list, my inbox gets dumped on
> with a bunch of Out of Office auto responses. Am I doing something
> wrong or is eliminating my input the best recourse?
>
> Brad Henson, Raytheon

No, you don't do anything wrong - there are some people here on the
list (like on evry other list...) who subscribe first, then go in
vacation and configure Out of Office auto responses to every mail
that arrives, including the redistributed mailing list postings.

Now, there are three possibilities:

The best one would be, it goes to the "Return-path", this is the
address for non-deliverable mails, and for SI-List, it
is [email protected], and I assume it would land in the
recycle bin there.

The normal one is, it goes to the "From" address, that is your
address if you have posted here. That's why you get a bunch of this
stuff especially for your own postings.

The worst case is, it goes to the "Reply-To"-Address: This is the
List address [email protected], and thus, it gets
redistributed, gets repied automatically, gets redistributed.... and
depending on the timeout the Out of Office Reply is sent the
Listserver is soon down by a mail loop. (Mostly, this happens so
quickly that the list owners stop it manually before the server can
crash.

If you cannot see some of the addresses (Return-path, Reply-to)
automatically if you read the mails, it depends on your mail client
which from these e-mail header lines are displayed by default or with
an extra button or not at all. My Pegasus shows the most important
always, and full header with all lines etc. after a keyboard
shortcut.

HTH
Regards
Matthias Mansfeld
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik
* Printed Circuit Board Design and Assembly
Am Langhoelzl 11, D-85540 Haar, GERMANY
Phone: +49-89-4620 0937, Fax: +49-89-4620 0938
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.mansfeld-elektronik.de