Re: [SI-LIST] : Who are Thevenin and Norton?

From: Adrian Shiner ([email protected])
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 14:06:41 PDT

This is not the complete picture but may help you on your quest:

From Engineering Circuit Analysis by Hayt & Kemmerly, Library of Congress
No. 62-17882, McGraw-Hill 1962

Page 82

"The first of these theorems is attributed to M L Thevenin, a French
engineer working in telegraphy, who first published a statement of the
theorem in 1883; the second may be considered a corollary of the first and
is credited to E.L. Norton, a scientist with the Bell Telephone
Laboratories."

Because corollaries are relatively simple mathematical devices, I personally
doubt that the Norton attribution is naming the true originator.

There are a lot of sound engineering principles to be found in old text
books (I used the one above at university). I recommend brousing some second
hand bookshops if you are interested in the basics and history of
engineering.

Best wishes

Adrian