RE: [SI-LIST] : Zo for HCT

From: Volk, Andrew M ([email protected])
Date: Sat Oct 23 1999 - 15:28:01 PDT

Johnni -

I agree completely with Mike's analysis of the "equivalent" output impedance

of the driver. And if you know the actual I-V characteristics, you can
calculate the impedance from the curves. The trouble is that the published
numbers in the data sheet are the guaranteed drive levels at a particular
level and does not characterize the actual output strength which changes
with processing, temperature and supply voltage. Since the published
numbers cover the worst case, the typical strength will be quite a bit
higher (lower effective impedance). Putting a series resistor on the output

is one way to wash out these variations and better match the drive
impedance.
You see this done on practically all clock drivers on PC motherboards to
control signal overshoot and skew.

Regards,

Andrew Volk
Intel Corp.