Re: [SI-LIST] : Effect of low Zo for unterminated lines

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 14:02:48 PDT

Roy Leventhal wrote:

> More and more I have the impression that the understanding of how a
> component/product actually behaves has nothing to do with publishing a number
> that you can ship to.
>
> I know the same tends to be true for a system/product. So, I'm aware we all
> resort to these subterfuges. But, if my job is to understand how a component
> actually behaves so that I design correctly with it, then I'm completely misled
> by the specification sheet.

One of the keys to happiness is realizing that data sheets are marketing
documents, not engineering ones. A couple of years ago I gave up trying
to change the way we do the silly things and simply demanded that in
addition to four-color glossy sales literature we also start producing
the data that engineers need to make working products. THAT I was able
to sell, so now the usual SDF garbage, etc., still gets done but we also
have IBIS models and other useful stuff as a required deliverable from
the library development group.

I *strongly* urge the rest of us to do the same. Besides, "Data sheets
are marketing documents, not engineering ones" is short and memorable
enough that even PHBs sometimes stay tuned all the way to the end of
the sentence.

--
D. C. Sessions