Re: [SI-LIST] : Thin Power Plane Dielectrics

From: Jeff Cain ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 17:24:30 PDT

At one time I actually showed this using an FDTD scheme. The actual "effective" dielectric constant
approaches an asymptote as you add more and more vias. Using the same dielectric constants, 4 and 16,
the "effective" dieletric constant approaches 7.2. So doing the square root stuff leads to an increase of
 the velocity by a factor of 0.34, which is indeed very close to Larry's solution.

Not only did the above result come as a pleasant surprise, when we added striplines the propogation
delay did not change. That is to say whether we via-ed the two planes together or not, didn't change the
velocity of the waves on that line.

Jeff Cain
Technical Leader
Cisco Systems