Re: [SI-LIST] : Chassis hole opening and frequencies

From: Istvan NOVAK ([email protected])
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 16:42:56 PST

Doug,

Since the SI-list seems to be quiet in these days, let me give you some
quick answer until EMC gurus jump in. Electromagnetic wave can go through
openings with little attenuation as long as the longest dimension is larger
than half the wavelength. This defines a cutoff frequency below which wave
propagation is not supported, and the wave is attenuated exponentially with
distance (along the thickness of the wall that has the opening).

A good start for further references is e.g., the Don White's "EMC
Encyclopedia". You may also want to ask around and/or join the emc list:
Here is the footnote from one of the messages:

To cancel your subscription, send mail to [email protected]
quotes). For help, send mail to [email protected],
[email protected], [email protected], or
[email protected] (the list administrators).

I hope this helps

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems