Re: [SI-LIST] : Inner vs. Outer Layer Routing

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 10:36:38 PST

Lee

The microwave guys IEEE MTT Society have been making measurements of
radiation from pcbs on microstrip since the 50s.

They normally catagorize RF losses in order of importance into:
1. Dielectric losses
2 . Scin effect and resistive losses
3. Radiation losses.

Since radiation is considered a loss by this community, it seems rather near-sighted
to dismiss it for uninterupted traces across uninterupted planes. Obviously, the problem
is agrivated at every discontinuity in impedance causing reflections and circulating
currents.

Ron Miller

Lee Ritchey wrote:

> Throughout these discussion I see words like "substantial", "significant", etc. suggesting that these problems are big enough to worry about. Have any of
> you made real measurements to quantify the problem? Are we worrying about something that is in the noise? My experience and many measurements show that
> traces running along the surface of a multilayer PCB with uninterupted planes do not cause measurable EMI. Doug Brooks and the UMR people even did a set
> of tests to verify this and published a report in PC Design.
>
> By uninterupted I mean without isolation cuts. The normal holes in planes needed to accommodate vias are not problems unless they overlap and make slits.
>
> sweir wrote:
>
> > Jian,
> >
> > The assumption which I have made is that we have a multilayer board in both
> > cases. So, in the microstrip case, we still have the problem that when we
> > via, we leave the TEM mode as well. Without a matching via between the two
> > ground planes, we cause considerable excitation in both:
> >
> > ====| S
> > =============== G
> > |
> > ========|====== G
> > |==== S
> >
> > For this situation, I do not see that the stripline is fundamentally better
> > or worse as the planes in both cases are subjected to substantial
> > pertubations. Do you agree that if we want to keep the EMI down, we want
> > to stay in TEM as much as possible? My understanding of the world is that
> > this means we can't let the field expand substantially into
> > dielectric. So, we need a Z axis return path to mirror the Z axis signal
> > path as closely as possible.
> >
> > If I am way off base, I welcome the education.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve.
> >
> > At 03:01 PM 12/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
> > >Hi, Steve:
> > >
> > >I am not sure what "reflection plane to reflection plane vias" mean in your
> > >message. Maybe it is defined earlier in this subject. I did not get all the
> > >messages on this subject because my name was removed accidentally from the
> > >SI-LIST due to a crash on the SI-LIST server. My last posted message is
> > >mainly an objection to the comment "stripline normally radiates more".
> > >Basically, this comment is normally true. However, there are exceptions.
> > >
> > >Regarding vias on microstrip circuits mentioned in your posting, the
> > >purposes for the vias in microstrip circuits may be different from that for
> > >stripline circuit:
> > >
> > >A microstrip line has two metals: one for the strip and the other for the
> > >ground. There exist only one TEM or quasi-TEM mode on a microstrip circuit.
> > >
> > >An illustration on microstrip
> > > ===== strip

> > >A stripline circuit has three metals: (1) the strip; (2) the top ground
> > >plane; (3) the bottom ground plane. We can excite a TEM or quasi-TEM mode
> [...]

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]