Re: [SI-LIST] : Inner vs. Outer Layer Routing

From: Jim Freeman ([email protected])
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 14:52:23 PST

Hi Chris,
    two points,
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by balanced differential lines, but my
interpretation would be that lengths,Z0,number of vias and their
placement would all be exactly balanced for the two lines. Other points
would be the use of broadside coupling to reduce the near field,ensure
that the current flows are always equal and opposite(no skews in the
values of current), etc.
    2. The dispersion is generally thought to be a property of the
material that the wave is propagating through and more particularly, the
variation in dielectric strngth and magnetic permeability of the
material over frequency. This would not seem to be a function of
stripline of microstrip construction except for the variablilty of these
values in air vs. frequency.

Jim Freeman