Re: [SI-LIST] : topics for discussion

From: Jim Freeman ([email protected])
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 12:57:26 PST

Hi Steve,
    You are correct. There are both differential and common mode issues when differential signals are employed. Most commonly, the differential impedances
are either ignored or deemed not significant. A proper stachup satisfies both of these criteria for proper signal transmission. It can be said that many
versions of this have been attenpted and a problem was not seen on the board, including those who basically ignored the differential considerations. This
probably means that the the performance required was not high enough to see a problem or the designer lucked out. Much can be said for lucking out but as
we reach higher performance systems, both the differential and common mode requirements of differential signalling will need to be met.

Jim Freeman