RE: [SI-LIST] : Star connection termination

From: Greim, Michael ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 05:09:22 PST

As you have seen from some of the posts, there are a number
of good ways to skin this cat. Either a single or multiple
series terminations can be employed to yield good results.
What will work best will depend on loading and trace routing
on each of the legs. Remember, series and thevenin termination
together is generally not a good idea. I have personally seen
better results using one series terminator per leg when the legs
have dis-similar routing and/or loading. However, your mileage
may vary.

I can't stress enough the value of a good simulator on less
traditional net topologies such as stars, Hs, other (please
take the term traditional loosely). In many cases you may
be surprised with the effectiveness of the results.

You should also be careful with driver loading as multiple
legs on 50 ohm layers will load things down quite quickly if
you aren't watching for it. Many a time I have seen someone
substitute in a high drive driver as a place holder for a model
they were waiting on (say a 4 to 8 mA FPGA/ASIC output).
receipt of another model. Needless to say, you will see
radically different performance when the correct driver is
substituted in. Unfortunately, I have run into a couple of
folks who discovered this difference when they got in the
lab. (Why the would do this is a story for another time).

Best Regards,

Michael

The bounds of Time, Space or Mechanics should never stand
in the way of a perfectly good idea.......

The time is gone, The email's over, thought I'd
something more to say.........

Michael C. Greim Consulting Engineer
Mercury Computer Systems, Inc email: [email protected]
199 Riverneck Road V: 978-256-0052/x1607
Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820 F: 978-256-4778