Re: [SI-LIST] : SDRAM termination

From: Mike Mayer ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 06:48:15 PST

> Hi, We have designed a SDRAM board with Micron chips. We have
> terminated with a serie resistor all the data lines but we
> haven't done it with the adress line because we don't see it in
> others SDRAMs boards. Now we have too much si problems with the
> adress lines. We have used Hyundai chips and we haven't had this
> si problems and our board runs OK. Do you think that we should
> terminate the adress lines in the SDRAM board too?

In general, it will be necessary to terminate the address lines. As
someone else mentioned, there are buffers available that incorporate a
sereis termination resistance. Depending on the topology of your nets,
you have to account for the fact that you are using reflected wave
switching (i.e., the longest delay is at the part closest to the
driver) when you do a timing analysis.

Mike Mayer                               Artesyn Communication Products, Inc
Senior Hardware Design Engineer          Madison, WI
[email protected]                http://www.artesyn.com/cp