[SI-LIST] : IBIS and bipolar emitter followers?

From: David Chengson ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 15:02:44 PST

If the circuit one is attempting to model has bipolar
transistors configured as emitter followers, can IBIS
models simulate the de-biasing of emitter followers?

A problem that can occur is during the
falling edge transition, a reflection from an impedance
discontinuity, if sufficiently large, may de-bias
the emitter followers (which are always suppose to be
biased in the linear active region).
The base of the transistor has already transitioned from
high to low, and the reflection at the emitter can
cause the base-emitter voltage to drop much less than
600mV, and the emitter current drops to small values
(leakage currents). Spice models this fairly well.

The last time I looked at IBIS models, they only had
voltage sources and resistors. But that was awhile back.

Dave Chengson
Juniper Networks

> From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <[email protected]>
> To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
> Subject: RE: FW: [SI-LIST] : IBIS datasheets for PCI and DDR
> Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:40:10 -0800
>
> Jim,
>
> I just want to respond to the technical part of your EMAIL regarding
> bi-polar and constant
> current sources.
>
> Try plotting the IV curve of a constant current source. You will see a
> straight horizontal
> line (if your horizontal axis is voltage and the vertical axis is current).
> Compare that with
> an IV curve from an IBIS model of any buffer. Chances are that in most
> cases you will not see
> a horizontal line, but something that starts in the origin, and than
> saturates at a certain
> voltage becoming almost horizontal. Yes, in the saturation region it will
> be like a constant
> current source, but in the linear region it will be like a resistor. This
> is exactly the way
> a MOSFET transistor's IV curve look like.
>
> IBIS started with Intel's initiative. To my knowledge we do not manufacture
> anything else but
> (C)MOS parts. IBIS modeling started in the (C)MOS era. We use it for
> simulating our (C)MOS
> parts very successfully. In fact (in my opinion) IBIS is better at modeling
> (C)MOS, than bi-polar.
> What are you talking about bi-polar and constant current technology?
>
> By the way, we are working on the SSO limitations of IBIS at this very
> moment, so you should
> see that problem gone soon. On the other hand, a there are features in IBIS
> that would allow
> (limited) SSO simulations, but the reason you can't do it is because some
> tools do not use
> those features. So this is not entirely an IBIS spec issue.
>
> Arpad Muranyi
> Intel Corporation

Dave Chengson Juniper Networks www.juniper.net
[email protected] W: (650) 526-7989 FAX 650 526-8001