RE: [SI-LIST] : Transmission Line Theory

Heck, Howard ([email protected])
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:47:10 -0800

Gary,

Here are some books and application notes that cover transmission lines for
digital applications.

R. Poon, Computer Circuits Electrical Design, Prentice Hall, 1st edition,
1995.
W. Dally and J. Poulton, Digital Systems Engineering, Cambridge University
Press, 1998.
R.E. Matick, Transmission Lines for Digital and Communication Networks, IEEE
Press, 1995.
H.B.Bakoglu, Circuits, Interconnections, and Packaging for VLSI, Addison
Wesley, 1990.
H. Johnson and M. Graham, High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black
Magic, PTR Prentice Hall, 1993.
"Line Driving and System Design," National Semiconductor Application Note
AN-991, April 1995.
K.M. True, "Data Transmission Lines and Their Characteristics," National
Semiconductor Application Note AN-806, February 1996.
"Transmission Line Effects in PCB Applications," Motorola Application Note
AN1051, 1990.
W.R. Blood, MECL System Design Handbook, Motorola, Inc., 1983.

To start with I'd recommend the text by Bakoglu, which does a good job of
describing wave propagation, and the text by Poon, which has a good mix of
theory and practice. He also discusses some useful techniques for "hand"
analysis. Johnson & Graham are heavy on practical knowledge with little
theory. Matick is heavier on theory and presents transmission lines from a
circuits point of view. Dally/Poulton attempts to cover all aspects of
digital system design (e.g. power delivery & I/O circuit, in addition to
interconnect). The application notes are all pretty good, and you can
download them from the WWW.

Good luck.

hh