Re: [SI-LIST] : Substrate modeling

Steve Corey ([email protected])
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:06:07 -0800

Krishnan:

Depending on your level of desired accuracy, the problem varies from simple to complex. If you have time :), on the academic side there have been two significant bodies of work in this area, one by Wemple and Yang, one by
Verghese and Allstot, both around the time frame of 1992-1995. Verghese's dissertation was also published in hardcover by Kluwer. However, to my knowledge, neither has been developed into an industry tool. The gist of each was
to model uniformly doped silicon as a resistive mesh, reverse-biased pn junctions as capacitive surfaces.

I do know that Avant! has developed a tool (Star-Crunch?) for reducing the large RC netlists resulting from either approach prior to simulation. Another company marketed a tool called "SI-Crunch" (spelling may vary) to perform
similar operations.

Hope this helps...

-- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.