Re: [SI-LIST] : conductor thickness versus current

Mike Dudinsky X3204 ([email protected])
Mon, 16 Nov 98 15:21:05 EST

Tim,
You might be better off going to IPC-D-275 (Design Standard for Rigid Printed Boards and Rigid Printed Board Assemblies) Figure 3-4 to determine current carrying capacity for conductors on a PCB. Assuming a 10 degree C maximum permissable temperature rise, a 20 square mil conductor can carry approx. 1.2A on outer layers (surface) and approx. 0.6A on inner layers (internal). Hope that helps!

Mike Dudinsky
PCB Design Engineer
Raytheon Systems Company