Re: [SI-LIST] : Terminations scheme for bi-directional bus

Dennis Tomlinson ([email protected])
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:28:30 -0500

--------------575951273FFD8242930C28B5

Hi All,

George Harris wrote:

> Hi Susan,
>
> Your note has a lot of information so I'll intersperse my answers
> with your text.
>
> ----------

I'll second that. There's a discontinuity at the junction between daughter
card and backplane (for mid span cards) - with the backplane looking
at best, like 30 Ohms. The round trip time from driver to this discontinuity
and back to driver is almost one rise/fall time. This distorts transitions
even before launching onto the backplane and having to contend with all the
other ghoulies.

Again, if it's not too late, could you consider using one of the low voltage
bus interface logic families. In particular, GTL swings approximately
1.2V peak-peak, and slews slower than AC, ACT, or ACTQ by
a factor of 3 or so.
GTL would allow shunt termination on the backplane at both
extreme ends of your bus. This would do wonders for signal
beautification, and cut EMI emissions from your bus by a factor
of about 17.4 (-12.4 dB) due to the lowered voltage swing, and
decreased spectral bandwidth would decrease emissions further still.

Another caveat of using AC, ACT, or ACTQ as a bus interface
are those clamp diodes you'll find on the inputs. If your
system has a requirement for "hot card insertion", or individually
fused power on each daughter card, you are susceptible to a single
point failure causing an entire system to go down.
(Note, you may have a redundancy scheme to cover such things,
but it's a concern none-the-less).

Cheers, and good luck,

Dennis

        **** To unsubscribe from si-list: send e-mail to