RE: [SI-LIST] : Schottky diode termination

Robert Muir ([email protected])
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:46:06 +1100

Some years ago a colleague of used the input protection diodes of logic
devices=20
as part of the normal operation of a circuit and experienced an
interesting problem.

The circuit was an 8-channel digital input module of an industrial
controller taking=20
input voltages from 0 to 60V. If I recall correctly the input was taken
through=20
a 200K current limiting resistor to the input of a 74HC244 buffer, with
a 2M=20
resistor also on the 74HC244 buffer to ground. Even with a 60V input =
the
maximum=20
current through the protection diode is only 0.3mA, well below the =
limit
of 20mA.=20
The circuit worked nicely and was put into production.

Of course once in production problems occurred. All 74HC244 being the
same, naturally=20
purchasing bought parts from a different manufacturer. When a high
voltage was=20
input the circuit read not only the actual input as being high, but
others as well.=20
The current into the diodes somehow caused other inputs on the same =
chip
to read=20
high, even though their actual input was low. The problem was solved by
testing which=20
manufacturers worked and specifying those to purchasing.=20

Even when the circuit failed none of the chips were damaged, which is =
as
the data=20
sheet specified. I'd be concerned using the protection diodes as
terminators if
this is not specified by the manufacturers. The chips may not be
damaged, but=20
reliability of the product could be suspect.
=20
Regards,
Robert Muir