Re: [SI-LIST] : TDR analysis

Dima Smolyansky ([email protected])
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:45:53 -0700

There is a good algorithm, referred by name of inverse deconvolution,
inverse scattering, dynamic deconvolution or peeling, Z-profile, Z-line
etc. etc. The bottom line of it is that the multiple reflections, that
prevent you from looking at the true impedance profile of the line.

There are multiple references in literature.=20
L. A. Hayden, J.-M. Jong, V.K. Tripathi, "Characterization of Multiple Li=
ne
Interconnection Structure from Time Domain Reflectometry,"=97ISHM'93
Proceedings. Pp. 622-625
J.-M. Jong, B. Janko, V.K. Tripathi, "Time-Domain Characterization and
Circuit Modeling of a Multilayer Ceramic Package,"=BEIEEE Transactions on
CPMT=BEPart B, Vol. 19, No. 1, February 1996, pp. 48-55
C.-W. Hsue, T.-W. Pan, "Reconstruction of Nonuniform Transmission Lines
from Time-Domain Reflectometry,"=97IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory =
and
Techniques, Vol 45, No. 1, January 1997, pp. 32-38

The last one is just a re-print of the old stuff - I don't know how stuff
like this gets published in MTT.

Thanks,

-Dima

----------
> From: casperdd <[email protected]>
> To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
> Subject: [SI-LIST] : TDR analysis
> Date: Thursday, August 27, 1998 1:46 AM
>=20
> Hi I have an interesting problem regarding some TDR analysis that I am
> curently undertaking. I am still investigating the impedance's changes
> that occur between stripline, and microstrip geometry's, and I wish to
> thank everyone for there help, it has been very useful.=20
> The background to my current problem:
> I inject the TDR signal through a lemo connector onto a small length of
> microstrip, then down through a via into stripline. Because the
> microstrip section of track is so short, the impedance change between i=
> and the stripline, are lost in the noise of the lemo connector.
> My question is how to best analyse the section of track after the via,
> as I have the lost information of the preceding impedance change.
> Preceding impedance, and the amplitude of the propagating wave, are the
> two variables that are used to calculate the impedance of a section of
> track. Is it possible to use TRD to analyse a section of track after a
> "hidden" impedance change.
>=20
> Many thanks
>=20
> Dom
>=20
si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****