Re: [SI-LIST] : Surface Mount Cap Lead Inductance

[email protected]
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:36:14 -0700

Hi all,

I would like to add two general comments to the good ones already presented
by Ray Anderson and Larry Smith

1. The self inductance of the capacitor also depends on the internal
construction of the capacitor and the location of the terminals. For
example if one terminates the capacitor on the wide side of the rectangular
package instead of the narrow side, the inductance is decreased; thus one
might choose a 0612 capacitor instead of a 1206. They are physically the
same size but have terminations on different faces. For another example,
see the 'LICA' capacitors from AVX which have dramatically lower inductance
and larger self-resonant frequencies than the standard surface mount caps
with terminations on each end.

2. If one wants to accurately know the high frequency behavior of a mounted
capacitor, it is necessary to include all of the nearby environment (other
traces, ground and power planes, etc) specific to each situation. When one
is dealing with very small parasitic elements, small changes in the
environment can be surprisingly significant. In particular, for any
contribution to the inductance as discussed here, it is possible and often
desirable to compensate that inductance either partially or totally by
careful layout and component placement. In my opinion, this is best done
by developing generic design rules for each particular stack-up using a
suitable modeling tool (like Ansoft's Quick 3D Extractor) and then applying
those rules where needed.

The bottom line is that with the right tools designers can compensate for
the inductance of vias, pads, capacitors, etc just like the manufacturerers
do. Then the capacitor specs are meaningful and one can pick a suitable
capacitor and use it to its full capability.

Best regards,

Eric

Eric Wheatley Ph.D. Electromagnetic Modeling Services
Alterra Technology Co. (760) 942-9426 (phone)
435 Dunsmore Ct. (760) 942-2366 (fax)
Encinitas, CA 92024 US [email protected]